Tennessee hosts Tennessee-Martin today in college football at 6 PM ET.
Hardin County is a county located in the U.S. State of Tennessee. As of 2010, the population was 26,026. The Hardin County seat is Savannah. The county was named posthumously for Col. Joseph Hardin, a Revolutionary War soldier and a legislative representative for the Province of North Carolina; the State of Franklin; and the Southwest Territory. The county was founded in November 1819. Hardin County was the site of the Battle of Shiloh (also known as the Battle of Pittsburg Landing) during the Civil War.
Hardin County is located in western southern Tennessee (although part of the county is east of the Tennessee River, the county is considered part of the "Grand Division" of West Tennessee). The county is divided into two nearly equal divisions by the Tennessee River, which enters about midway on the south side and passes out near the northeast corner, flowing northwards. The length of the county from north to south is about 30 miles, and its greatest width, from east to west, about 21.
Two parties of settlers (totaling 26) struck out from Knoxville, Tennessee in late spring of 1816 bound for the general area which would eventually become Savannah, Tennessee. The first party, traveling by boat, came by way of the Tennessee River, landing in May at "the easteward curve of the Tennessee" [sic] at Cerro Gordo. The second, and larger, party had traversed overland and encountered several delays. Upon the arrival of the second group, the parties finally rejoined at Johnson Creek, near present day Savannah. It was now July, and the pioneers set about the laying down of the first permanent settlement by non-Native Americans in the area.
This second party was led by Joseph Hardin, Jr., son of Col. Joseph Hardin who had, before his death, accumulated several land grants to the area as rewards for his Revolutionary War service. Joseph, Jr. was accompanied on the trip by his brother, James Hardin. James was the founder of what would become the first county seat, Hardinville. The settlement was created in 1817 on nearby Hardin’s Creek —on the site of what was later renamed Old Town, Tennessee. Both men executed land grants in the area. They had fought alongside their father in the war and had been likewise rewarded with their own land patents, as well as inheriting some of their father's unclaimed grants.
Other settlers in the expedition continued further downriver, establishing another community at Saltillo, in 1817.
For eleven days after its initial establishment (in November 1819), the boundaries of Hardin County reached from Wayne County west to the Mississippi River. The establishment of then neighboring Shelby County and others continued to diminish the size of Hardin until it reached its present boundaries. The county was named for Revolutionary War veteran, Joseph Hardin, a former colonial assemblyman for the Province of North Carolina, Speaker of the House for the unrecognized State of Franklin and a territorial legislator of the Southwest Territory.
Hardin County was the site of the 1862 Battle of Shiloh (also known as the Battle of Pittsburg Landing) during the Civil War. The battleground is several miles south of Savannah, and extends into Tishomingo County, Mississippi.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 596 square miles (1,543.6 km2), of which 578 square miles (1,497.0 km2) is land and 18 square miles (46.6 km2) (3.09%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 25,578 people, 10,426 households, and 7,444 families residing in the county. The population density was 44 people per square mile (17/km²). There were 12,807 housing units at an average density of 22 per square mile (9/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 94.91% White, 3.69% Black or African American, 0.20% Native American, 0.16% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.30% from other races, and 0.72% from two or more races. 1.02% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 45.1% were of American, 9.8% Irish, 9.7% English and 9.5% German ancestry according to Census 2000.
There were 10,426 households out of which 29.70% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57.30% were married couples living together, 10.10% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.60% were non-families. 25.50% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.80% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.41 and the average family size was 2.87.
In the county, the population was spread out with 23.10% under the age of 18, 7.90% from 18 to 24, 26.60% from 25 to 44, 26.40% from 45 to 64, and 16.10% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 96.70 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.20 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $27,819, and the median income for a family was $34,157. Males had a median income of $28,357 versus $18,806 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,598. About 14.60% of families and 18.80% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.80% of those under age 18 and 17.80% of those age 65 or over.
Hardin County has several community and city elementary schools, and also has a middle school. The county has one high school, Hardin County High School, whose sports teams are nicknamed "The Tigers". The Savannah-Hardin County Center, a branch campus of Jackson State Community College, has operated in the City of Savannah, offering an Associate of Science degree in General Studies, since 1998. The University of Memphis has occasionally offered classes at the Center in the past, but there were no classes scheduled there in the summer or fall of 2009. There is also the Tennessee Technology Center at Crump.
See List of unincorporated communities in Hardin County, Tennessee
Hardin County maintains its own Level 4 Trauma Center out of Hardin County Medical Center in Savannah. Emergency Medical Services to Savannah and the surrounding county are provided by a paid 24/7 ambulance service based out of this hospital. Fire protection to the city of Savannah is provided by a 24-hour paid Fire Department based out of two stations, with five pieces of apparatus. The County of Hardin is protected by a combination of paid and volunteer Firefighter/First Responder and Firefighter/EMT-IV level engine companies, based out of 15 Fire Districts and with approximately 60 pieces of apparatus. The county also maintains a disaster/mass casualty team and a HAZMAT Team. An interesting note is that Hardin County has one of the lowest ISO Safety Ratings for its Fire Services outside of Jackson or Memphis, which reduces insurance rates for property substantially.][
The University of Tennessee system (UT system) is one of two public university systems, the other being the Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR), in the state of Tennessee. It consists of three primary campuses in Knoxville, Chattanooga, and Martin; a health sciences campus in Memphis; a research institute in Tullahoma; and various extensions throughout the state.
The UT system has a combined student enrollment of more than 49,000 students, over 320,000 living alumni, and a total endowment that tops $1 billion.
The University of Tennessee was founded in Knoxville as Blount College in 1794. The university was designated as the state's land-grant institution in 1869, and gained the name "University of Tennessee" in 1879.
The medical campus, the UT Health Science Center, was founded in Memphis in 1911.
In 1927, UT acquired the Hall-Moody Institute and renamed it to the University of Tennessee Junior College. In 1951, the school began awarding bachelor degrees and became the University of Tennessee Martin Branch. In 1967, after the campus had been designated a primary campus, the university's name was changed to the University of Tennessee at Martin.
In 1968, the UT system was officially formed, with the University of Tennessee at Martin and UT Knoxville as the primary campuses.
That same year, the Tennessee state legislature gave UT permission to establish a campus in Chattanooga, which was the largest city in Tennessee without a public university. The private University of Chattanooga determined that it could not raise enough private capital to compete with a public institution, and agreed to merge with UT to form the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga in 1969.
Also in 1968, UT announced plans to create a campus in Nashville, expanding an existing UT center of education created in 1947. Rita Sanders Geier filed a desegregation lawsuit against the state, arguing the existence of a UT campus in Nashville where Tennessee State University is located perpetuated a dual system of higher education. As a result, the UT Nashville campus was eventually merged with TSU by court order in 1979.
There are five educational units of the university system, three of which are separate universities within this statewide higher education system.
UT Knoxville is the flagship campus of the UT system, based in Knoxville. The largest university in the state, it has a current total enrollment of 27,523. UT awarded 6,345 degrees in over 300 programs in the 2009-10 academic year.
While not a separate entity, UT Knoxville operates a campus in Nashville that is part of the UT Knoxville College of Social Work. The Nashville Campus awards the M.S.S.W. in conjunction with UT Knoxville.
UTC is a large university located in downtown Chattanooga. The university was founded as a private school in 1886, joined the UT system in 1969, and currently has over 10,000 students.
Located in rural northwest Tennessee in Martin, UT Martin began in 1900 as Hall-Moody Institute, a private Baptist school. In 1927, the Tennessee Baptist Convention merged Hall-Moody Institute with Union University. The University of Tennessee System took over and the school became known as The University of Tennessee Junior College in Martin. It operated under this name until 1951 when four-year fields of study leading to bachelor's degrees were added. The name was then changed to The University of Tennessee Martin Branch. In 1967, it was designated a primary campus in the UT system and was given its current name, The University of Tennessee at Martin. With approximately 8,000 students, UT Martin comprises the main campus in Martin and four extended campuses located in Parsons, Selmer, Jackson, and Ripley, Tennessee.
The University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) has its main campus in Memphis. UTHSC offers a wide variety of degree programs among its six colleges: Allied Health Sciences, Dentistry, Graduate Health Sciences, Medicine, Nursing, and Pharmacy. UTHSC also has colleges of Medicine and Pharmacy, in addition to an Allied Health Sciences unit in Knoxville, as well as a College of Medicine campus in Chattanooga. In addition, UTHSC has more than 100 clinical and educational sites statewide.
The University of Tennessee Space Institute is located in Tullahoma. The Institute awards master's and doctoral degrees in conjunction with UT Knoxville.
The University of Tennessee system has several other units that provide service to the state of Tennessee and to the nation.
The Institute of Agriculture is composed of the Agricultural Experiment Station, UT Extension and Knoxville's College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources and College of Veterinary Medicine. The Institute has a presence in all 95 counties through its educational programs in agriculture, home economics, resource development and 4-H programs.
The Institute for Public Service was created in 1971 as a part of the university "to provide continuing research and technical assistance to state and local government and industry and to meet more adequately the need for information and research in business and government." Components include the County Technical Advisory Service, the Municipal Technical Advisory Service, the Center for Industrial Services, the Law Enforcement Innovation Center, and the Naifeh Center for Effective Leadership.
UT Knoxville and Battelle Memorial Institute are 50-50 partners in UT-Battelle, which manages the Oak Ridge National Laboratory for the United States Department of Energy.
The University of Tennessee system is governed by the Board of Trustees of the University of Tennessee. There are five ex officio members and twenty-one appointed members. The ex officio members are the Governor, the Commissioner of Agriculture, the Commissioner of Education, the President of the University, and the Executive Director of the Tennessee Higher Education Commission. The Executive Director of THEC does not have a vote, however.
One member is appointed from each of Tennessee's nine congressional districts. Two members each are appointed from Knox and Shelby counties. One member each is appointed from Hamilton, Weakley, and Davidson counties. One member is appointed from Anderson, Bedford, Coffee, Franklin, Lincoln, Moore, or Warren County.
Two faculty members of the UT system serve as faculty members of the Board, serving two-year terms. Each faculty member serves a two-year term, as a non-voting member in year one and a voting member in year two. The appointments rotate among the three primary campuses and Health Science Center.
Likewise, two students serve as members in similar fashion. The faculty member and student member are appointed from the same campus in the same year. For example, if the voting faculty member is from UT Martin, the voting student member is also from UT Martin.
The university system is administered by a president.
Presidents and interim presidents of the University of Tennessee system, the University of Tennessee, and its predecessor schools are as follows:
Each of the five campuses is administered by a chancellor. Administrators on each campus report to their respective chancellors, who in turn report to the president. The only exceptions are the athletic directors of the Knoxville campus, who report directly to the president and not the Knoxville chancellor.
The university system has long struggled to come up with concrete naming conventions for its individual units. A consulting study by Keith Moore Associates called the differentiation of the system from its Knoxville campus "one of the thorniest internal problems facing the university."
The system is usually referred to as the University of Tennessee system. However, many times the term University of Tennessee is also used to refer to the system as a whole.
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville is often referred to as simply UT, especially by the general public. UTK is considered to be a correct abbreviation, but UT Knoxville is preferred.
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga is properly abbreviated as UTC. Athletics teams prefer to be called simply Chattanooga. UT Chattanooga is generally frowned upon by the campus, but is used widely in system publications.
The University of Tennessee at Martin prefers UT Martin to UTM, except in headlines.
On September 19, 2006, the University of Tennessee system unveiled a new branding campaign. The campaign was centered on the orange UT logo that incorporates the shape of the state into its design.
The campaign focuses on the word FUTURE, with the letters "UT" replaced by the system logo. Other words used in the campaign include SLEUTH, NEUTRONS, and COMPUTATION. The advertising to promote the brand includes billboards, magazine ads, and television spots.
The UT system plans to use the new brand to assist its $1 billion fundraising effort. In 2006, UT raised $271 million towards this goal.
Kacy Rodgers (born June 24, 1969 in Humboldt, Tennessee) is an American football defensive line coach for the Miami Dolphins of the National Football League. He had a brief playing career from 1992 to 1994 and has since served as an assistant coach at the college and professional levels. He played college football at Tennessee.
As a player, Rodger was a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers and Shreveport Pirates. He has coached at Tennessee-Martin, Louisiana-Monroe, Middle Tennessee State and Arkansas, as well as for the Dallas Cowboys in the National Football League.
Rodgers played high school football for and graduated from Humboldt High School in Humboldt, Tennessee. Attended The University of Tennessee, Knoxville where he met and married the former, Marcella Cruze. They have a son, Kacy II.
Rodgers then attended the University of Tennessee, where he was a four-year letterman (1988–1991) and one-time honorable mention All-SEC selection. During his time as a linebacker and defensive end, he won two SEC championships and played in the 1990 Cotton Bowl Classic, 1991 Sugar Bowl and the 1992 Fiesta Bowl.
Rodgers signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers as an undrafted free agent in 1992. He played for the Shreveport Pirates of the Canadian Football League in 1994.
Rodgers began his coaching career in 1994 as defensive line coach for the University of Tennessee at Martin. He held the title for three seasons before adding the title of assistant head coach in 1997.
After his time at Tennessee-Martin, Rodgers served one season as defensive line coach for the Northeast Louisiana University in 1998.
In 1999, Rodgers became defensive line coach at Middle Tennessee State University. He held the title for three seasons and was also the assistant head coach for the final two. In 2001, the Blue Raiders posted an 8-3 record and were co-champions of the Sun Belt Conference. Also that season, the team tied for first in the conference with 27 sacks.
Rodgers then served one season as defensive line coach for the University of Arkansas in 2002. The Razorbacks defense ranked second in the SEC and 18th in the nation, going 9-5 and earning an SEC Championship berth.
In 2003, Arkansas alum and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones hired Rodgers as the team's defensive tackles coach. He held the title for two seasons before serving the next three as defensive line coach. Defensive tackle La'Roi Glover earned three Pro Bowl selections under Rodgers' tutelage from 2003 to 2005. The Cowboys' defense also ranked in the top 10 in the NFL during four of Rodgers' five seasons with the team. During his final season in 2007, they ranked No. 6 in the NFL and allowed just 94.6 rushing yards per game.
In 2008, Rodgers joined the Miami Dolphins as defensive line coach under first-year head coach Tony Sparano, replacing Travis Jones and Diron Reynolds from 2007. Rodgers had previously worked with Sparano in Dallas the previous five seasons while also serving under current Dolphins Vice President Bill Parcells during his tenure as Cowboys head coach from 2003 to 2006.
Paris is a city in Henry County, Tennessee, 86 miles (138 km) northwest of Nashville, on a fork of the West Sandy River. As of the 2010 census, the city had a total population of 10,156. It is the county seat of Henry County.
A 60-foot (18 m) tall replica of the Eiffel Tower stands in Paris. Paris is also home of the "World's Biggest Fish Fry".
The present site of Paris was selected by five commissioners appointed to the task at the December 1822 session of the Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions of Henry County. Their choice was fifty acres, 37 and one half of which were owned by Joseph Blythe and 12 and one half owned by Peter Ruff, both of whom gifted the land. A public square, streets, alleys and 104 lots were laid off and the lots were sold at auction over a two-day period in either March or April 1823.
Paris was incorporated on September 30, 1823. It was the first town incorporated in West Tennessee, followed by Lexington on October 9, 1824, and Memphis on December 19, 1826. The city was named after Paris, France, in honor of the Marquis de Lafayette.
Paris is located at (36.301229, -88.313815).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 10.9 square miles (28 km2), of which 10.9 square miles (28 km2) is land and 0.04-square-mile (0.10 km2) is water. The total area is 0.37% water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 10,156 people, 4,394 households, and 2,605 families residing in the city. The population density was 897.4 people per square mile (346.5/km²). There were 4,965 housing units at an average density of 456.4 per square mile (176.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 76.99% White, 19.25% African American, 0.34% Native American, 0.64% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.42% from other races, and 2.34% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.63% of the population.
There were 4,394 households out of which 24.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 38.5% were married couples living together, 16.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 40.7% were non-families. 36.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 19.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.14 and the average family size was 2.77.
In the city the population was spread out with 22.94% under the age of 18, 55.89% from 18 to 64, and 21.7% who were 65 years of age or older. For every 100 females there were 81.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 77.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $25,261, and the median income for a family was $32,258. Males had a median income of $27,759 versus $20,198 for females. The per capita income for the city was $15,572. About 14.1% of families and 19.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 26.6% of those under age 18 and 20.5% of those age 65 or over.
Local companies manufacture brakes, small electric motors, aftermarket auto parts, metal doors, rubber parts and school laboratory furniture.
Originally constructed by Christian Brothers University in the early 1990s, the Eiffel Tower is located in Memorial Park. The original tower suffered from wood decay and was later replaced with a metal structure. The tower is a 60-foot (18 m) tall scale model of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, France.
In addition to the Eiffel Tower, Memorial Park provides tennis courts, a public Olympic-sized swimming pool, soccer fields, two walking trails, a children's playground with pavilions, and a newly constructed frisbee golf course.
Paris is home of the "World's Biggest Fish Fry". The festival is held every year and culminates on a weekend, on the last full week in April, with a parade, an art and craft fair, a rodeo and a fun fair. Part of the festivities include the "catfish races." There is a sign which features a roughly 20-foot (6.1 m) long catfish that can be seen when entering the town from the south on U.S. Route 79. As Kentucky Lake is only a 20 minute drive from downtown, fishing is a popular activity.
Paris is known for its support of the arts. Many large events of musical nature take place in the city's auditorium, the Krider Performing Arts Center. Known as "KPAC", the building is attached to the city's public elementary school, Paris Elementary.
The University of Tennessee at Martin (UT–Martin, UT Martin, or UTM) is a campus in the University of Tennessee system in the United States. Other campuses include the flagship campus in Knoxville, the Chattanooga campus, the Center for the Health Sciences in Memphis, and the Space Institute in Tullahoma. UTM is the only public four-year university in West Tennessee outside Memphis.
UT Martin is featured in U.S. News & World Report top-tier ranking for southern master’s institutions in the 2013 edition of America’s Best Colleges. The Princeton Review also named UT Martin “A Best Southeastern College” for 2013 and among the nation’s “Best Value” colleges and universities in the book The Best Value Colleges: 2012 Edition (one of two public universities in Tennessee included in the listing); And, for the sixth consecutive year, UT Martin is listed among America’s 100 Best College Buys, a listing by Institutional Research and Evaluation, Inc.
UTM operates a large experimental farm and several satellite centers in West Tennessee.
Although UT-Martin dates from 1927, it is not the first educational institution to use the current site. In 1900, Ada Gardner Brooks donated a site on what was then the outskirts of Martin to the Tennessee Baptist Convention for the purposes of opening a school. The school opened as the Hall-Moody Institute, named for two locally prominent Baptist ministers. It originally offered 13 years of study, from elementary grades to the equivalent of the first years of collegiate work. The institute changed its name to Hall-Moody Normal School in 1917, as teacher training became its primary focus. Five years later, Hall-Moody changed its name again to Hall-Moody Junior College. Due to declining enrollment and financial difficulties in the mid-1920s, Hall-Moody Junior College was in danger of closing. In 1927, the Tennessee Baptist Convention made the decision to consolidate Hall-Moody with a similar institution, Union University, in nearby Jackson.
Upon hearing of the impending closure of the Hall-Moody campus, area civic and political leaders asked the state of Tennessee to step in and take over the former Hall-Moody facilities under the auspices of the University of Tennessee. University of Tennessee president Harcourt Morgan agreed to accept the proposition on the condition that the Martin community would acquire the property as well as space for expansion. The City of Martin and Weakley County sold bonds to purchase the campus and some surrounding land. On February 10, 1927, Senate Bill Number 301 established the University of Tennessee Junior College in Martin. On March 29, it was officially approved by Governor Austin Peay. Hall-Moody closed for the last time on June 1, and the new UT Junior College began operations on September 2 with 120 students
The school nearly closed twice during its first quarter-century, first during the hard times of the Great Depression and again when nearly all male students enlisted in World War II. However, an influx of returning servicemen ushered in rapid growth both in enrollment and educational offerings. In 1951, with the addition of four-year fields of study leading to a bachelor's degree, it was redesignated the University of Tennessee Martin Branch. At the same time, its chief executive's title was changed from "executive officer" to "dean." In 1967, it was granted equal status with the main campus in Knoxville under its current name. The school grew greatly from the post-World War II era, largely under the influence of the G. I. Bill of Rights, through the 1960s under the leadership of Paul Meek, who led the school from 1934 to 1967. It was noted that the school had almost as many entering freshmen in 1969 as it had overall students in 1961. Current enrollment is approximately 8,100. In 1961, it was the first campus in the University of Tennessee system to begin racial desegregation of undergraduates. (Graduate schools at other campuses had begun desegregation in 1952.)
Given its rural location, much of the focus of the school has been on undergraduate studies in education and agriculture, although many other courses of study are offered, particularly in the liberal arts, and in recent years there has been an increasing emphasis on business, engineering, and music. There is an active ROTC program, and a school of nursing. The school is among the top providers of candidates to the University of Tennessee Health Science Center in Memphis. There is a small graduate school, with most graduate degrees being conferred in education.
The campus is noted for being particularly scenic and well-landscaped. Students who live on campus are within walking distance of all academic buildings, the library, food services, the Boling University Center, and all recreational and sports facilities. Recent years have seen the demolition of old double-occupancy dormitory halls in favor of construction of apartment-style housing.
UT Martin is one of the most environmentally responsible colleges in the United States and Canada, according to the second annual edition of The Princeton Review’s Guide to 311 Green Colleges: 2011 Edition. UT Martin is one of three public institutions in Tennessee included in the guide. UT Martin is also among the safest public college campuses in Tennessee based on crime statistics released by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation.
The Tennessee Martin athletic program is a member of the Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) and competes in the NCAA Division I Football Championship Subdivision.
The school's teams are known as the Skyhawks; the team colors are navy blue, orange, and white; and the mascot is Captain Skyhawk.
Athletic teams have participated in the Ohio Valley Conference since 1991. Previously, UTM was a member of the Gulf South Conference.
The university mascot was changed from "Pacers" to "Skyhawks" in 1995. The reasoning behind the "Skyhawks" moniker was described thus:
Prior to being known as "Pacers" the university's teams were called "Volunteers." The name was changed in 1971, largely due to fact that, on account of the former junior college status of the school, the teams were often referred to as the "Baby Vols."
Founded in 1928, The Pacer is the name of the student newspaper. The Office of Student Publications publishes The Pacer every Wednesday morning throughout the semester except for holidays and exam periods. As of 2006, the newspaper has a circulation of 3,000 copies. In the spring of 2006, the publication was won the distinction of being named "Best in the South" at the Southeastern Journalism Conference, beating out such schools as Vanderbilt and Mississippi State. Throughout its history, the newspaper has also been named The Checkerboard and The Volette.
Beanswitch is a literary magazine run by UT Martin's undergraduates. This magazine publishes non-fiction, fiction, and poetry, in addition to artwork. Each fall, an online edition is published. The spring edition is in print. Submissions are accepted from all students and from staff.'
The campus radio station at the University of Tennessee-Martin has been named the nation's Best Overall Radio Station (2012) at a college broadcasting conference. The honor — the Abraham & Borst Award — was presented to WUTM at the Intercollegiate Broadcasting System Conference in New York. WUTM was also chosen Best College/University Station under 10,000 enrollment.
WUTM-FM was named 2011 “Best College Radio Station in the South,” the third consecutive year for the station to earn the award and earned a Platinum Award, the highest ranking, for the second consecutive year from the Intercollegiate Broadcasting System (IBS).
The campus is home to many student life organizations. It also is the location of the 1965 founding of the medical fraternity, Mu Epsilon Delta.
A T-shirt from Tennessee-Martin is prominently featured in the 1981 music video, "Night Owls" by the Little River Band.
Brazilla Carroll Reece (December 22, 1889–March 19, 1961) was an American politician from Tennessee. He served in the United States House of Representatives.
Reece was born on a farm near Butler, Tennessee, one of thirteen children of John Isaac and Sarah Maples Reece. He was named for Brazilla Carroll McBride, an ancestor who served in the War of 1812, but never used his first name. His brother, Raleigh Valentine Reece, was a reporter for the Nasvhille Tennessean and the teacher who replaced John Thomas Scopes at Rhea County High School in Dayton, Tennessee following the infamous "Monkey Trial."
He attended Watauga Academy in Butler, and Carson-Newman College in Jefferson City, Tennessee. At Carson-Newman he played basketball and football. After graduating from Carson-Newman in 1914 as class valedictorian, he worked as a high school principal for one year, then enrolled in New York University, where he earned a master's degree in economics and finance in 1916. He also studied at the University of London.
He was an assistant secretary and instructor at New York University in 1916 and 1917. During the First World War, he enlisted in May 1917 and served with the American Expeditionary Forces from October 1917 to July 1919. He was decorated with the Distinguished Service Cross, Distinguished Service Medal, Purple Heart, and the French Croix de Guerre with Palm; as a First Lieutenant][ in the 102nd Infantry Regt., 26th Division. He was director of the School of Business Administration of New York University in 1919 and 1920, and also studied law there.
He then opened a successful law practice in Johnson City, and also served as a banker and publisher.
He was married to Louise Goff, daughter of United States Senator Guy Despard Goff of West Virginia.
In 1920, Reece won the Republican nomination for Tennessee's 1st Congressional District, based in the Tri-Cities region in the northeastern part of the state. The region had voted not to secede at the state convention in 1861. This region was heavily Republican—in fact, Republicans had represented this district for all but four years since 1859, and was one of the few regions in the former Confederacy where Republicans won on a regular basis. He won handily in November and was reelected four more times before being defeated for renomination in 1930 by Oscar Lovette. However, he defeated Lovette in 1932 and returned to Congress, serving until 1947, when he stepped down to devote his full energies to serving as chairman of the Republican National Committee, a position he had held since 1946. A member of the conservative "Old Guard" faction of the Republican Party, Reece was a strong supporter of Ohio Senator Robert A. Taft, the leader of the GOP's conservative wing. In 1948 and 1952 Reece was a leading supporter of Taft's candidacy for the Republican presidential nomination; however, Taft lost the nomination both times to moderate Republicans from New York.
Reece served as a delegate to the Republican National Conventions in 1928, 1932, 1936, 1940, 1940, and 1948. He was a member of the Board of Regents of the Smithsonian Institution in 1945 and 1946.
Reece was the Republican nominee for an open Senate seat in 1948, but lost to Democratic Congressman Estes Kefauver. However, two years later he ran against the man who succeeded him in his old House seat, Dayton Phillips, and defeated him in the Republican primary. This all but assured him of a return to Congress in the heavily Republican district. He was reelected five more times. When the Republicans gained control of the House after the 1952 elections, Reece served as chairman of the Special Committee on Tax Exempt Foundations, losing this post after the Democrats regained control in 1955. During his time in Congress, he was a social and fiscal conservative who supported isolationism and civil rights legislation.
During the Cold War, Reece's statement that "The citizens of Danzig are German as they always had been" caused a reply from Polish leading emigrant in London - Jędrzej Giertych, writer, publicist and publisher of National Democratic backgroung.
Reece led the House Special Committee to Investigate Tax-Exempt Foundations and Comparable Organizations which investigated the use of funds by tax-exempt organizations (non-profit organizations) to see if they were being used to support communism.
Reece died on March 19, 1961 in Bethesda, Maryland, just two months after being sworn in for his 18th term. He served in the House longer than anyone else in Tennessee history (though Jimmy Quillen, who eventually succeeded him as the 1st District's congressman, holds the record for the longest unbroken tenure in the House for a Tennessee congressman), and only Kenneth McKellar served in both houses longer. He was a rarity in politics at the time—a truly senior Republican congressman from a former Confederate state. Reece's wife, Louise, was elected to serve the remainder of his unexpired term in Congress. Both are buried at Monte Vista Memorial Park in Johnson City, Tennessee.
Royal Blue & White
Middle Tennessee State University, commonly abbreviated as MTSU or MT, is a comprehensive coeducational public university in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
Founded in 1911 as a normal school, the university is composed of eight undergraduate colleges as well as a college of graduate studies, together offering more than 80 majors/degree programs through over 35 departments. MTSU is most prominently known for its Recording Industry, Aerospace, Music, and Concrete Industry Management programs. The university has partnered in research endeavors with the Oak Ridge National Laboratory, the United States Army, and the United States Marine Corps. In 2009, Middle Tennessee State University was ranked among the nation's top 100 public universities by Forbes magazine.
MTSU student athletes compete intercollegiately as the Blue Raiders, as a part of Division 1 Football Bowl Subdivision athletics in the Conference USA. On November 29, 2012, MTSU Athletics announced they had accepted an invitation to the conference.
MTSU is part of the Tennessee Board of Regents and the State University and Community College System of Tennessee, and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Its president is Sidney A. McPhee.
One of the earliest calls for a normal school occurred in 1855 when a Wilson County, Tennessee politician wanted to build a normal school in Lebanon, Tennessee. Education efforts collapsed shortly with the breakout of the American Civil War. Later on, state superintendents and teachers traveled around the state giving speeches about the dire need of teacher preparation. In 1909, the Tennessee General Assembly moved "to provide for the improvement of the system of Public Education of the State of Tennessee, that is to say, to establish a General Education Fund." The major thrust of this "improvement" embodied in the legislative act that was to become known as the General Education Bill of 1909 was the establishment of three normals or teacher-training institutions. Following the intent of the act that one was to be located in each of the grand divisions of the state, the State Board of Education assigned the middle Tennessee institution to Murfreesboro.
Middle Tennessee State Normal School (MTSNS or MTNS) opened on September 11, 1911, with a two-year program for training teachers. It evolved into a four-year teachers' college by 1925 with the power of granting the Bachelor of Science degree, and the institution's name was changed for the first time to Middle Tennessee State Teachers College. The school was often abbreviated as "S.T.C." In 1943, the General Assembly designated the institution a state college, changing its name for the second time to Middle Tennessee State College. This new status marked a sharp departure from the founding purpose and opened the way for expanding curricular offerings and programs. In 1965, the institution was advanced to university status, changing its name to Middle Tennessee State University. In October 2010, the Student Government Association at MTSU proposed that the university be renamed to "The University of Middle Tennessee," though approval by the university administration and the Tennessee Board of Regents is required.
During the progressive movement from a two-year normal to a university, several significant milestones may be identified. In 1936, the Bachelor of Arts program was added. Responding to the expressed needs of the institution's service area, the Graduate School was established in 1951. To effect better communications and improve administrative supervision, the schools concept was introduced in 1962.
As Middle Tennessee State University developed and grew, the Doctor of Arts program was added in 1970 and the Specialist in Education in 1974. These degree programs became attractive centerpieces for other efforts to improve and enhance institutional roles. Library resources were dramatically increased and sophisticated computer services were developed to aid instruction and administration. A highly trained faculty enabled the university to continue growth in program offerings. In 1991, the university's six schools—five undergraduate and the graduate school—became colleges. In 1998, MTSU's Honors program became the Honors College, the first in the state. In 2002, approval was granted to redesignate three D.A. programs to Doctor of Philosophy programs, expanding the progressive institution's offerings. Ph.D. degree offerings now include Computational Sciences, Mathematics and Science Education (including concentrations in Biology Education, Chemistry Education, Mathematics Education, and Interdisciplinary Science Education), Molecular Biosciences, Economics, English, Human Performance, Public History, and Literacy Studies.
Since 1911, MTSU has graduated more than 100,000 students. Despite the university's growth from a campus of 100 acres (0.40 km2), 125 students, and a faculty of 19, to an academic city of over 500 acres (2.0 km2), more than 26,000 students, and a faculty of over 900, the institution is still essentially a "people's university" with a concern for the diverse needs of the area that it serves. In the 1980s and 1990s, the institution dedicated resources to become a leader in technology, both in the classroom and in many services to students.
In 1986, James McGill Buchanan ('40) became the first MTSU alumnus to be awarded the Nobel Prize. Buchanan received the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences for his pioneering role in the development of the field of public choice, a way of studying the behavior of politicians and bureaucrats.
MTSU is divided into nine colleges:
The College of Graduate Studies offers Master's degrees in nearly 40 areas, the Specialist in Education degree (Administration and Supervision, Curriculum and Instruction in Educational Leadership, Elementary School Education, and School Psychology), and the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree. MTSU's first Ph.D. was awarded in May 2003, though the university had awarded many Doctor of Arts (D.A.) degrees in the past.
In 1986, James McGill Buchanan ('40) became the first MTSU alumnus to be awarded the Nobel Prize. Buchanan received the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences for his pioneering role in the development of the field of public choice, a way of studying the behavior of politicians and bureaucrats. In addition, former MTSU economics professor Muhammad Yunis received the Nobel Peace Prize for efforts through microcredit to create economic and social development. Visiting professor Al Gore received a Nobel Peace Prize for his work in climate change activism.
Middle Tennessee State University employs approximately 900 full-time faculty members, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 20:1.
The Department of Recording Industry (often called "RIM" for its former name "Recording Industry Management") is a department in the College of Mass Communications and the university's most popular program. Due to the large number of students in the program, only a limited number of slots are opened for students to gain candidacy to take upper-division classes. The RIM program is divided into three concentrations: Music Business, Commercial Songwriting, and Production & Technology. Music Business focuses on the marketing and business aspects of the recording, touring, and publishing industries. The Production and Technology concentration focuses on recording, mixing, and mastering techniques, and specific technological trends of the industry. Commercial Songwriting is a blend of music business, songwriting, and music theory classes.
The department boasts five recording studios on campus, each open 24 hours a day.
The Rolling Stone College Guide recognized MTSU as having "one of the preeminent music business programs in the country."
The Department of Aerospace offers an aerospace major with five concentrations: Professional Pilot, Administration, Technology, Flight Dispatch, and Maintenance Management. Each concentration has been accredited by the Aviation Accreditation Board International, and the aerospace program as a whole has been accredited since 1992. The Department of Aerospace has a working agreement with the single-runway Murfreesboro Airport to provide many of its classes on-site. A decommissioned Boeing 727 airliner (number N117FE, donated by FedEx) is housed at the airport as a teaching tool. Though no longer considered air-worthy, its engines remain functional, and can be restarted for training purposes. American Airlines has also donated a 727 cockpit procedure trainer to MTSU, which allows students to receive their flight engineer rating. It is housed in the Business & Aerospace Building near the center of campus.
The aerospace program's training fleet is made up of Diamond DA40 single-engine aircraft featuring glass cockpits, with an assortment of other single- and multi-engine aircraft available. In 2010, the Department of Aerospace purchased ten radar simulators as well as a one-of-a-kind 360 degree control tower simulator to enhance training for its air traffic control students. These simulators allow students to experience lifelike air traffic control scenarios that will aid in preparing them for training at the FAA Academy in Oklahoma City.
The Concrete Industry Management program is a four-year bachelor of science degree offered through the Engineering Technology department in the College of Basic and Applied Sciences. CIM develops graduates that are broadly educated with technical knowledge in addition to a solid business background. It was started in 1994 by concrete professionals and industry consultants. Since its inception, the CIM program has graduated over 250 alumni.
The campus, set on 466 acres (1.9 km²), features 234 permanent buildings with 3.1 million square feet (944,500 m²) of space. It is one mile (1.6 km) from the geographic center of Tennessee and 1.3 miles (2 km) east of downtown Murfreesboro.
There are 13 dormitory buildings on campus, as well as two apartment complexes. The dormitories were being renovated and modernized as of 2011. In addition to the dormitories, four fraternities have chapter houses on Greek Row.
The western section of campus contains most of the college's original buildings, including the oldest classroom building, Kirksey Old Main, and the original dormitories — Monohan, Lyon, and Rutledge Halls. Athletic facilities such as the Murphy Center, Johnny "Red" Floyd Stadium, the Alumni Memorial Gym, Reese Smith Jr. Field, and the university's tennis courts are on the western part of campus.
The eastern part of campus features the newest structures. In the center is the main quad, surrounded by the Learning Resource Center, the Business and Aerospace Building, the Mass Communications Building, and the James E. Walker Library. The newest structures, the College of Education and Student Union buildings, lie on the east side of the campus. Other notable facilities include the recreation center, softball field, intramural fields, and Greek Row.
Middle Tennessee State University is a "dry campus", meaning alcoholic beverages are prohibited at all times. In addition, all tobacco products are prohibited on campus.
Due to a significant emphasis on Mass Communication at MTSU, the campus has several mass media outlets. Sidelines is the campus's editorially independent, student-run newspaper, printed every Monday and Thursday. MT10 (formerly known as MTTV), a student-run TV station, is carried locally by Comcast. The two radio stations on MTSU's campus are 88.3 FM WMTS, a student-run radio station, and 89.5 FM WMOT, a publicly supported classical and jazz radio station.
The university is host to approximately 225 student organizations, fraternities, and interest groups.
In addition, MTSU's Greek Life consists of the following social fraternities and sororities:
The Band of Blue is considered the largest student organization on campus, maintaining approximately 350 members each year. Membership is open to any university student who can display good marching techniques and a fundamental proficiency on an instrument used in the marching band.
Middle Tennessee's athletic teams, known as the Blue Raiders, compete in Conference USA of NCAA's Division I in the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS, formerly Division I-A). On November 29, 2012, MTSU announced they had accepted an invitation to the conference.
The most prominent athletic facilities on the campus are Johnny "Red" Floyd football stadium, Murphy Center basketball stadium, and Reese Smith Jr. baseball field. MTSU has won two national championships: golf in 1965, and men's doubles tennis in 2007. The Blue Raider football team has won the Sun Belt Championship two times (2001 and 2006) and has participated in three bowl games (2006, 2009, and 2010). The Blue Raider Baseball team has sixteen conference titles and fourteen NCAA tournament appearances
The MTSU mascot is "Lightning," a winged horse based on Pegasus from Greek mythology.
University of Tennessee at Martin
Third Saturday in October
Southern United States
Confederate States of America
Some of MTSU's most notable alumni include politician Albert Gore, Sr., Nobel Prize winning economist James McGill Buchanan, NFL quarterback Kelly Holcomb, Nashville Star winner Chris Young, country music artist Hillary Scott of Lady Antebellum, and WNBA players Alysha Clark and Amber Holt.