1600 Albany St Select Specialty Hospital Beech Beech Grove, IN 46107 ... Indianapolis, IN 46237. Get Dr Erhard Bell's phone number on your free report.
Franciscan St. Francis Health (formerly St. Francis Hospital & Health Centers) is a medical facility serving Carmel, Indianapolis, Mooresville, Plainfield and south-central Indiana.
The hospital has historical affiliations to the Roman Catholic Church and the Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration.
Franciscan St. Francis Health is accredited by the Healthcare Facilities Accreditation Program (HFAP) and other organizations including: American Diabetes Association College of American Pathologists, Commission on Cancer American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery National Association of Catholic Chaplains Society of Chest Pain Centers American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation and Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
In 1909, The Sisters of St. Francis were invited by Reverend Francis Gavick to organize a new hospital in Beech Grove, Indiana. After 5 acres (20,000 m2) of land was purchased for one thousand dollars at the corner of Troy Avenue and Sherman Drive, two Sisters arrived to supervise the construction of the new hospital.
In 1913, the cornerstone of St. Francis Hospital was laid. The new hospital was built facing what is now 17th Avenue in Beech Grove, at a cost of $75,000. St. Francis Hospital was dedicated to care for the sick on July 5, 1914. In the hospital’s first year, it treated 63 patients. The original hospital building had 75 beds and housed medical and surgical services, operating room, X-ray and laboratory facilities, pharmacy and emergency room.
During the Great Depression a second wing was added to the south of the original hospital structure. This South Wing was dedicated on January 18, 1931. Housing the new Obstetrical Department, the wing doubled the capacity of the hospital. The admissions per year more than doubled from 1,805 in 1931 to 4,096 in 1940. The hospital staff in this pre-war year included over 70 staff doctors and 73 employees.
In 1957, the five-story North building was constructed, increasing bed capacity to 300, and the staff increased to 700 employees. The building housed Indiana’s first cobalt treatment for tumors. The North Wing also included a Medical Library, Chapel, Maternity Department and Surgery Department.
In August 1970, the Sisters of St. Francis began the construction of a new eight-story building to be the core of the new St. Francis Hospital Center. Encompassing more than 320,000 square feet (30,000 m2), the capacity of the hospital was increased to 500 beds. The total cost was in excess of 14 million dollars. The new complex consisted of twin patient towers and a base unit to provide the necessary supporting services. The Bonzel Towers, named for the founder of the Order of the Sisters of St. Francis, provided 200 patient beds. The building to the rear of the patient towers housed the various special ancillary services, including a new 15-bed Cardiac Care Unit and a 12-bed Intensive Care Unit. An Emergency Department was added. The North Building, constructed in 1957, was incorporated into the Center through the use of enclosed cross-overs.
Completing the plans for the new hospital campus was the Medical Arts Building, located to the southeast of the hospital. The three-million dollar project featured a 400-car self-park garage and five floors of office spaces for physicians. An enclosed ground level passage connected the building to the hospital’s Tower Building.
The creation of a Special Care Nursery in 1975 led to the development of what is now a Level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit for the close observation and care of newborns.
In 1975, the Radiology Department introduced Ultrasound Laminography to the facility.
In 1991, St. Francis purchased 106 acres (0.43 km2) of land at the southeast corner of Emerson Avenue and Stop 11 Road for the expansion of the hospital to include the new South Campus, which would feature a Specialty Medical Office Building, a Primary Care/Family Practice Physician Office Complex and the St. Francis Ambulatory Services and Diagnostics Center. The Ambulatory Services and Diagnostics Center would also house an ambulatory surgical center, an outpatient cancer treatment center, an education center, a women’s health services center, radiology (X-ray) and laboratory services, as well as several support services. The hospital broke ground in 1992 and the facility opened in 1995. The St. Francis Heart Center opened in 2005. The first phase of a patient bed tower opened in 2011.
In January 2000, the Sisters of St. Francis acquired Kendrick Memorial Hospital, now known as St. Francis – Mooresville. Several expansions followed.
St. Francis Hospital & Health Centers was renamed Franciscan St. Francis Health in early 2011.
In February 2011, Franciscan St. Francis Health announced plans to build a $23 million short-stay medical center in Carmel, Ind]. Franciscan St. Francis-Carmel opened in April 2012.
Franciscan St. Francis Health announced it was acquiring the Visiting Nurse Service Inc. in May 2011.
Franciscan St. Francis Health-Mooresville opened its Emergency Department in October 2008.
Franciscan St. Francis Health announced plans in 2008 to consolidate services from its Beech Grove to its Indianapolis campus upon completion of an inpatient bed tower in 2011. The first phase of the tower construction opened in April 2011. The Beech Grove hospital closed all inpatient and emergency services in March 2012. Outpatient services are still available.
In January 2012, Franciscan St. Francis Health's cancer services announced it was joining a collaboration with the International Genomics Consortium, whose work ultimately will lead to advancements in the diagnosis and treatment of cancer.
Franciscan St. Francis Health is part of a network of 13 hospital campuses in Indiana and Illinois owned and operated by the Franciscan Alliance (Formerly Sisters of St. Francis Health Services, Inc.)
Hospital locations are:
Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health is a nationally ranked children's hospital located on the Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis campus in Indianapolis, Indiana.
It is named for James Whitcomb Riley, a writer and poet who lived in Indiana. In 1916, a group of prominent citizens who knew Riley started the Riley Memorial Association (later called Riley Children's Foundation) to build a children's hospital in memory of Riley. The hospital opened in 1924. In 1950, the foundation started Camp Riley, a camp in south central Indiana for children with disabilities.
In 2011, ten specialty programs of Riley at IU Health were ranked among the top children's hospitals nationwide by U.S.News & World Report 2011-2012 edition of America's Best Children's Hospitals and placed Riley's Urology 3rd, Pulmonology 12th, Diabetes & Endocrinology 12th, Cardiology & Heart Surgery 25th, Gastroenterology 27nd, Neurology & Neurosurgery 28th, Cancer 28th, and Neonatology 30th.
In 1997, Riley Hospital for Children united with Indiana University Hospital and Methodist Hospital to form Clarian Health. On January 24, 2011, Clarian Health officially became known as Indiana University Health to affirm the health system’s unique partnership with Indiana University School of Medicine. The names of all hospitals within the health system align with the IU Health name, with Riley Hospital being named Riley Hospital for Children at Indiana University Health.
For 13 consecutive years, IU Health has been ranked among the nation's top hospitals by U.S.News & World Report. Additionally, all of the Indiana pediatricians listed in America's Top Doctors, a national consumer publication, have Riley-based practices.
Riley Hospital for Children is Indiana's first and only comprehensive children's hospital. Riley employs top physicians and researchers to improve the growth of life sciences in central Indiana, to boost the quality of care and further its statewide partnerships and service given to Hoosier families and children.
Established in 1970, the Riley Hospital Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) was the first in Indiana. Today the Riley NICU is Indiana's most comprehensive neonatal unit and staffs more than 30 neonatologists, 180 neonatal nurses and 20 neonatal respiratory therapists, along with social workers, dietitians and other important staff. Two parents are also employed full-time by the NICU as family support professionals working alongside the social workers.
In 2008 Child magazine recognized the Riley neonatal and pulmonary care departments in the top 10 among select specialties that were ranked. Riley Hospital for Children is the only pediatric's hospital in Indiana to be recognized in any category by Child magazine.
The director of neonatal/perinatal medicine at Riley Hospital for Children, James Lemons, MD, was named the 2008 winner in the Physician category of the Indianapolis Business Journal Health Care Hero awards. Dr. Lemons was recognized for building one of the best neonatology programs in the country, as well as for his untiring advocacy for families and his ceaseless commitment to patients.
Child magazine recognized Riley Hospital's NICU among the nation's top 10 for several years because of Dr. Lemons' commitment to excellence. He has been included in every single edition of America's Top Doctors, the prestigious publication for consumers in which tens of thousands of physicians and hospital leaders select the nation's top doctors. His research programs have been supported by continuous NIH funding and other grants for 25 years.
Riley Hospital for Children NICU encounters hundreds of reasons why newborn babies are in distress and require comprehensive procedures. One of those reasons is meconium aspiration, a condition where babies inhale a substance called meconium in utero – a bowel movement in the amniotic fluid. Meconium is like tar in newborn lungs. Infants are then rushed to the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at Riley Hospital for Children where, neonatologists begin a procedure called extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, or ECMO.
ECMO functions as a heart and lung bypass machine and helps by providing oxygen and removing carbon dioxide from the blood when the baby's lungs or heart, or both, are not functioning properly and requires a collaborative effort from many of the pediatric specialists, including neonatologists, pediatric surgeons and cardiovascular surgeons, pediatric perfusionists, pediatric radiologists and specially trained ECMO technicians.
In 1996 Riley was the first hospital in Indiana that could offer this lifesaving treatment. Offering ECMO requires a collaborative effort from many of the pediatric specialists at Riley, including neonatologists, pediatric surgeons and cardiovascular surgeons, pediatric perfusionists, pediatric radiologists and specially trained ECMO technicians.
In 2004 Riley provided ECMO treatment to the 500th baby in need, making it one of the most experienced centers for this lifesaving treatment anywhere. The experience also gives Riley outstanding results, exceeding national survival rates as reported by the Extracorporeal Life Support Organization.
Indiana's highly regarded Pediatric Pulmonary Program was created in 1976 and currently treats more than 14,000 patients annually. Its department includes 24 national and international physician leaders, 19 nurses, 10 respiratory therapists and social workers and dietitians. This program and the pediatric pulmonologists at Riley Hospital for Children and Indiana University School of Medicine Physicians lead Indiana in diagnosing and treating infants, children and adolescents who have acute and chronic respiratory disease from moderate asthma to the most complex lung problems.
Riley's pulmonary intensive care programs ranked 7th overall in the United States by Child magazine. No other Indiana hospitals pediatric pulmonary intensive care programs made the national rankings.
In addition to caring for patients throughout the Midwest, Riley Hospital for Children is active in researching ways to prevent serious lung damage in children with cystic fibrosis and its research efforts in the treatment of asthma allow Riley to offer selected patients the latest medications before they are available to the public.
Riley Hospital for Children treats breathing problems including asthma, wheezing, coughing, chest pain, viral respiratory infections, structural abnormalities in the respiratory system and chronic lung disease in premature infants. Special programs are offered for children and adults with cystic fibrosis and for children with apnea (stopping breathing).
Riley Asthma Care Center - The Riley Asthma Care Center treats children with moderate to severe asthma, offering an educational approach to asthma management that can help patients and their families take control of their asthma.
Riley Infant Lung Center - At the Riley Infant Lung Center, a specially-trained team of pediatric clinicians provides pulmonary care for infants with chronic lung conditions and breathing problems. As the only program of its kind in the region, it coordinates care of the infant before discharge from the nursery, provides evaluation and treatment during the important period of infancy and continued care for those with chronic respiratory problems.
Infant Lung Function Testing - Riley is the only children's hospital in the state and one of the few in the country with the capability to test lung function in infants.
Children's Lung Function - One of the busiest diagnostic services in the country, the laboratory evaluates lung function in children as a guide for diagnosis and therapy. Spirometry, bronchodilator response, bronchoprovocation and metabolic exercise evaluations are used to assess children ages three and older.
Bronchoscopy Program - Using state-of-the-art equipment, the Bronchoscopy Program evaluates infants with noisy breathing or distress. Functional dynamic assessment of the airway in children of all ages quickly pinpoints areas of concern and guides treatment options.
Children's Sleep Disorders Center - The Children's Sleep Disorders Center offers state-of-the-art evaluation of sleep disorders of all kinds, including sleeplessness, arousal disorders, obstructive sleep apnea and narcolepsy. It is the only pediatric facility in Indiana accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and it is nationally recognized. All of the resources are focused on meeting children's unique needs. The latest computerized equipment permits a wider variety of measurements than is typically available in adult sleep labs.
Children's Apnea Program - The Children's Apnea Program has been in existence for nearly two decades as a hospital-based program with community outreach. It serves as the primary referral center for the evaluation of children with apnea in Indiana, Illinois and Ohio. Physician referral is requested so physicians at Riley can work cooperatively with the infant's primary physician.
Riley Hospital North's REACT Program - The Department of Pediatrics at Riley Hospital North offers a unique program of pediatric asthma care through the Emergency Department at Clarian North Medical Center with the support of the Indiana State Aerie & Auxiliary Fraternal Order of Eagles. Riley Emergency Asthma Care and Teaching (REACT) services focus on asthma education. An asthma specialist is in the Emergency Department Monday through Friday from 6-10 p.m. to speak with parents while their child receives medical care for the asthma attack. After these hours and on weekends, parents will receive asthma education through a short video they will watch in the Emergency Department exam room.
Methacholine Challenges - Riley offers a state-of-the-art pulmonary function laboratory for children. Riley physicians frequently perform methacholine challenges to determine a patient's airway reactivity, an essential component of asthma.
Exercise Challenges - Riley also evaluates children who have problems with exercise, including children with a most rare condition of exercise-induced anaphylaxis.
Indiana University School of Medicine Physicians' Pulmonary Diagnostic Center provides specialized lung function testing for children through the Pediatric Pulmonary Function Laboratory. This specialized laboratory performs testing for physicians throughout Indiana and is one of only a few places in the country to offer pulmonary function testing for infants. Other diagnostic methods include fiber optic bronchoscopy, an outpatient procedure that lets doctors see inside the child's air passages. Our metabolic and exercise testing laboratory, which is also available to physicians throughout Indiana, is used to help evaluate the cause of a child's breathing problems.
The Christian Sarkine Autism Treatment Center (CSATC) at Riley @ IU Health is one of the nation’s largest autism treatment centers and is the only pediatric autism academic and research program in Indiana. CSATC frequently consults on, and participates in, industry-sponsored clinical trails and is on the forefront of novel treatment development for autism and related disorders. CSATC services include:
CSATC has National Institute of Mental Health-funded project grants to study various treatments in autism, and has been active in collaborating on other large multi-site, federally funded research. . Additionally, CSATC has been awarded competitive grants from Autism Speaks, the National Alliance for Research on Schizophrenia and Depression (now known as the Brain & Behavior Research Foundation), and the Fragile X Research Association.  CSATC is committed to helping children with autism and related disorders to achieve their potential and to participate as fully as possible in family, school and community life.
 Information based on the flyer About Christian Sarkine Autism Treatment Center (2011).
 Christian Sarkine Autism Treatment Center. (2011). http://psychiatry.medicine.iu.edu/autism
The HANDS in Autism, founded in 2004, is an outreach and training extension of CSATC. Focus areas of the program include :
 Information based on the informational flyer About HANDS in Autism (2011).
The Riley Heart Center concentrates on the treatment of congenital heart defects and acquired cardiovascular diseases in newborns, children and adolescents. The Riley Heart Center is Indiana's only dedicated pediatric inpatient unit for cardiovascular care. The Riley Heart Center is the only comprehensive cardiac inpatient unit in Indiana created exclusively for children. The center provides specialized testing, an accredited echocardiogram program, interventional lab and digital telemedicine, where Riley cardiologists review and interpret more than 2,000 echos annually from outside institutions.
Since 1950, Riley Hospital for Children has been a leader in advancing diagnostic, surgical and outpatient care to those with congenital heart disease. With a reputation for clinical excellence, the cardiac specialists at Riley are among the nation's most experiences and respected.
These board-certified pediatric cardiologists are doctors with special training and skill in finding, treating, and preventing heart and blood vessel disease in children of all ages, from infancy to young adulthood. This team also includes pediatric cardiovascular surgeons, clinical nurse specialists and cardiology social workers, all specialists in the care of children. This team diagnoses and treats conditions that include heart murmurs, rapid breathing, high blood pressure, infections involving the heart or blood vessels, chest pain, heart rhythm disturbances, fainting episodes and questions about participation in sports.
An echocardiogram is a study done to evaluate a child's heart by using high frequency sound waves ("ultrasound") that take moving pictures of the heart. The echocardiogram can image the different pumping chambers of the heart. It also takes pictures of the heart valves and vessels. To see the blood flow inside the heart, color Doppler echocardiography (similar to the Doppler used in the weather forecast on TV) is used. Doppler measurements are helpful to calculate the speed of blood flowing through the heart. This information can be used to assess narrowing or leaking of heart valves and other vessels. Riley was the first hospital in Indiana to have a pediatric echo lab accredited by the Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Echocardiography Laboratories. More than 8,000 pediatric echocardiograms, including about 1,000 fetal echos, are performed at Riley each year.
The Riley Safety Store is the first in the nation to serve all children, including children with disabilities. The Safety Store offers hospital families, staff and the general public low-cost child safety products and injury prevention education.
Indiana communities are called to "Get on Board with Child Safety" through educational programs, informational materials, training and community events that emphasize ways to prevent injuries, which are the leading cause of death for children in Indiana and nationwide.
Riley Hospital for Children Safe Escape Program is run as a program of the Riley Safety Store. Through its funding by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the program offers families of children with health care needs and disabilities the education, information and equipment they need to prepare for safe escape during emergency evacuations. The Riley Safe Escape Program is the first of its kind in the nation. The store-based program and the online version empower families to make specific, customized emergency evacuation plans for their home.
Beech Grove is a city in Marion County, Indiana, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city's population is 14,192. The city is located within the Indianapolis metropolitan area, one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the United States.
Beech Grove is located at (39.717677, -86.091308).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.39 square miles (11.37 km2), all land.
The city's elevation, measured in feet above sea level, ranges from 766 (the Beech Creek waterway, where it is crossed by South 9th Avenue) to 845 (the northeastern portion of the Amtrak railroad property). It is higher than that of downtown Indianapolis.
The city contains several small non-navigable waterways. Beech Creek, McFarland Creek, Pullman Creek, and Victory Run all feed into Lick Creek, which (after leaving the city limits) feeds into the West Fork of the White River.
The city is located within parts of four of Marion County's townships. In order of city land size, those townships are Perry, Franklin, Center, and Warren. (In order of city population, the list is Perry, Center, and Franklin; the Warren Township section is uninhabited railroad land.)
The city is one of three towns/cities in the United States with this name; the others are in Arkansas and Kentucky. There is also a town in Tennessee, which has the name as one word ("Beechgrove").
The city has direct access to the Interstate Highway System as it straddles Exit 52 of Interstate 465. It is served by local public bus routes of Indianapolis' IndyGo system. There is no current light-rail or streetcar service, although one existed in the past.
Beech Grove maintains a distinct address-numbering system from surrounding Indianapolis. Addresses are numbered as either East/West or North/South from the intersection of Main Street and First Avenue.
The city's street grid reflects two distinct urban planning styles. The original roadway connecting Beech Grove to Indianapolis was Churchman Avenue, running northwest from Beech Grove. The "original" city was built to the north of Churchman Avenue, on a north/south "grid" pattern with alleys, centered on the widened roads of Main Street and Fifth Avenue. While a parkway was planned for both sides of Lick Creek, only a small segment of it was actually established.
With the post-World War II "Baby Boom" population growth, new streets were built south of Churchman Avenue in the modern style of sweeping curves and "cul-de-sacs."
The growth of Indianapolis toward Beech Grove, and the distinctness of both cities, led to the unusual result of different names for certain roadways. Indianapolis' Troy Avenue becomes Beech Grove's Albany Street; Indianapolis' Sherman Drive becomes Beech Grove's 17th Avenue; and Indianapolis' Emerson Avenue becomes (in places) Beech Grove's 1st Avenue.
As of the census of 2010, there were 14,192 people, 5,898 households, and 3,567 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,232.8 inhabitants per square mile (1,248.2 /km2). There were 6,479 housing units at an average density of 1,475.9 per square mile (569.8 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 91.5% White, 3.2% African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.7% Asian, 2.1% from other races, and 2.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.2% of the population.
There were 5,898 households of which 31.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 37.3% were married couples living together, 16.9% had a female householder with no husband present, 6.2% had a male householder with no wife present, and 39.5% were non-families. 33.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.36 and the average family size was 2.98.
The median age in the city was 37.7 years. 24.6% of residents were under the age of 18; 9.2% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 25.7% were from 25 to 44; 25.5% were from 45 to 64; and 14.9% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 46.5% male and 53.5% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 14,880 people, 6,085 households, and 3,839 families residing in the city. The population density was 3,462.5 people per square mile (1,336.1/km²). There were 6,506 housing units at an average density of 1,513.9 per square mile (584.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 96.24% White, 0.89% African American, 0.19% Native American, 0.81% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.78% from other races, and 1.04% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.07% of the population.
There were 6,085 households out of which 30.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.1% were married couples living together, 13.2% had a female householder with no husband present and 36.9% were non-families. 31.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 12.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.99.
In the city the population was spread out with 25.2% under the age of 18, 8.9% from 18 to 24, 30.8% from 25 to 44, 19.3% from 45 to 64, and 15.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 88.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 83.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $41,548 and the median income for a family was $46,944. Males had a median income of $37,500 versus $26,135 for females. The per capita income for the city was $19,647. About 4.4% of families and 6.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.1% of those under age 18 and 9.5% of those age 65 or over.
Although geographically completely surrounded by Indianapolis, Beech Grove is an excluded city so it maintains its own police, fire, public works, and parks departments and operates its own public library and senior-citizens' center.
Beech Grove's government was first organized as a "Town Board" system on November 12, 1906. The system remained until 1935, consisting of three elected Ward representatives and a Clerk-Treasurer. From 1911 to 1939, Board members were elected as representatives of locally-organized political parties (e.g., Progressive, Citizens's Ticket, Peoples's Ticket).
Upon legally becoming an Indiana Fifth-Class City in 1935, its first mayor and four city council members were elected (three district members, and one at-large). Beech Grove achieved Indiana Fourth-Class City status in 1961. The present city council consists of five district members and two at-large members, plus an elected clerk-treasurer.
The mayors, their political affiliations, and their terms of office, have been:
Mayor Joe Wright announced his resignation from the office as of January 14, 2011; CIty Councilman John Jennings was named as Interim Mayor, until the appointment of Terry Dilk on January 25, 2011 by the Marion County Republican Committee to fill out Wright's term through the 2011 elections. Dilk was defeated in the November 8, 2011 election by former City fire chief Dennis Buckley, who became the first Mayor to have been the child of a former candidate for the same office (his father, Robert Buckley, was defeated in the 1967 election).
The 1951 Mayoral election featured Democrat Alice Stratton, one of Indiana's first female candidates for such an office.
The city flag was not adopted until the 1970s, when a competition was held in which citizens were invited to submit designs. The winning designer was Mike Hart. The flag features an orange, black and white logo on a blue field; the logo shows the profile of an old-style railroad locomotive, in orange, with a white circle superimposed in the center. The circle contains a depiction of the tower complex of St. Francis Hospital, and bears the name of the city, the year "1906" and the motto "Where Tradition Welcomes Progress."
The city has its own school district, the Beech Grove City Schools, but Franklin Township Community School Corporation also serves some of this region. Beech Grove City Schools consists of five facilities (Hornet Park, Central Elementary, South Grove Intermediate, Beech Grove Middle, and Beech Grove High). Its high school athletic teams, the "Hornets" (colors: orange and black) participate as members of the statewide Indiana High School Athletic Association (IHSAA), the Marion County Athletic Association and the Indiana Crossroads Conference.
The city's first school was opened in 1907 in the upstairs of the Wheat Grocery Store at 423 Main Street. Between 1909 and 1929, a series of school buildings and additions were built on the 1000 block of Main; only the original gymnasium remains from these structures. The high school was begun in 1917 and its first graduating class was in 1922.
A new combined junior high/high school was built in 1955 at 1248 Buffalo Street, just northwest of the existing school site. The previous complex became Central Elementary. The new facility operated on a split-day schedule, with high school students attending in the morning and junior high students attending in the afternoon.
By 1960, the city's growth to the south prompted the building of South Grove Elementary (later Intermediate) at the 800 block of South 9th Avenue. With the population growth, the present high school was built in 1966 just east of the 4000 block of South Emerson Avenue and the 1955 facility remained as the junior high (later middle) school.
Before the 1990s, the kindergarten education experience was only offered in the city by private specialty schools (past examples being Cassidy's and Happy Time). As part of the state's trend to incorporate this age level within the public schools, the city school system joined with the City's Parks Department in the development of Hornet Park, a dual-use facility built on the grounds of the former Olympia Club (a private swimming/recreation club). Kindergarten (and, added recently, 1st-Grade) classes are held in the south part, while the city offers meeting rooms and exercise facilities in the north part.
At different times in the city schools' history, certain grade-levels have been moved between schools. Ninth-graders were moved from high school to junior high from 1964 to 1973. Sixth-graders were in elementary school until 1977, when they were moved to middle school level, but were returned to the elementary level in 2004.
Also within the city limits are the Holy Name of Jesus School (Roman Catholic, grades pre-school to 8 only), built in 1922, and the Nazarene Christian School, grades Kindergarten through 12, (Independent Nazarene, a ministry of the Independent Nazarene Church in Beech Grove). Many students from Holy Name of Jesus continue their high school studies at Beech Grove High School or the nearby Roncalli High School.
Franciscan St. Francis Health, formerly known as St. Francis Hospital, was founded in Beech Grove by the monastic order of the Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration in 1914. The Beech Grove hospital closed in 2012 after most medical services were transferred to a more modern, suburban hospital campus in south Indianapolis.
Beech Grove's oldest churches have existed since the earliest days of the city. Father Peter J. Killian established the Blessed Sacrament Parish (Roman Catholic Church) in the upstairs of his home in 1908; its present name of Holy Name of Jesus Parish was taken in 1918. A Methodist Episcopal meeting in the Clapp family home in 1908 eventually led to the present Beech Grove United Methodist Church. A noon-time Christian men's meeting of "Big Four" railroad employees in 1910 was the genesis of the present Beech Grove Christian Church. In late 1912, the First Baptist Church (since 1937, General Association of Regular Baptist Churches) was organized and is now in its second location within the city.
Churches established in the city in later years include Beech Grove Wesleyan Church (formerly Pilgrim Holiness Church, in the 1920s); Independent Nazarene Church (in the 1950s); Faith Assembly of God (Assemblies of God, 1958); South Emerson Church of God (Reformation Movement, Church of God (Anderson), 1961); Southwood Baptist Church (Southern Baptist Convention, 1962); and Ascension Lutheran Church (Lutheran Church - Missouri Synod, 1972). In recent years, independent community churches have appeared (e.g., Body of Christ Fellowship, Church on The Word, Omega Harvest).
The Benedict Inn is a multi-use facility operated by the local Our Lady of Grace Monastery of the Sisters of the Order of St. Benedict. It contains meeting rooms, a gymnasium, and an indoor pool, which were part of the former Our Lady of Grace all-girls Catholic high school.
Established service groups include chapters of the Lions International and Kiwanis. The local Beech Grove Promoters Club was founded in 1953 as a chapter of the National Exchange Club, but left that organization in 1957 and adopted its present name. It organizes the city's two main public festivals—the 3rd of July Fireworks and the Fall Festival (since 1959) in September.
The city also contains Lodges of the Free and Accepted Masons, Fraternal Order of Eagles and Loyal Order of Moose. Posts of the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars are also active.
Past civic organizations which, while no longer in existence, performed service to the city include the Beech Grove Civic League and the Beech Grove Jaycees. The Jaycees organized a "Buck-A-Brick" campaign in the 1950s to build a house-sized Beech Grove Civic Center on South 3rd Avenue, offering meeting rooms to the citizens. (This facility is now the home of the Body of Christ Fellowship.)
Beech Grove has no daily newspaper, but its news events have been mainly covered for many years by a free weekly newspaper headquartered within the city. Now titled the Southside Times, the weekly was for most of its existence known as the Perry Township Weekly. (Past Beech Grove newspapers included the Independent, the Graphic and the Spotlight.) The city has no local radio or television station. It is part of the Indianapolis radio/television market and has its own cable TV Government-access television (GATV) channel available on the Comcast system.
Among the organizations sponsoring youth athletics are the Beech Grove Little League, the Beech Grove Athletic Boosters (football, volleyball, basketball), the Beech Grove Wrestling Club, the Beech Grove Girls' Softball Association, the Beech Grove Soccer Club and the Beech Grove Swimming Club. Teams representing Holy Name of Jesus School participate in Indianapolis' Catholic Youth Organization (CYO) sports league, in sports such as football, wrestling, kickball, and basketball.
The Scouting movement, both the Boy Scouts of America and the Girl Scouts of the USA, have had a long history within Beech Grove. For many years, Boy Scout Troop 79 was the city's main unit; present troops are 108. Various Girl Scout and Brownie Troops have existed. Beech Grove, although not a rural community, also has an active chapter of the traditionally-rural 4-H Club.
By the turn of the 20th century, the Beech Grove area was a rural section of Indiana's Marion County. Notable residents included poet and women's-rights activist Sarah Tittle (Barrett) Bolton (1814–1893), and Indianapolis financier Francis McClintock Churchman (1833–1891).
Bolton's farm, "Beech Bank" and Churchman's cattle farm, "Beech Grove Farm", both reflected the abundance of beech trees in this area. This would eventually provide the reason for the city's name, although an early railroad stop in the area was known as "Ingallstown." The city's Sarah T. Bolton Park, situated on some of the former Beech Bank farmland, still contains several large beech trees along its southern boundary.
The actual city came into existence as a 'company town' for a new railroad repair facility, the Beech Grove Shops, constructed by the Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, and St. Louis Railroad (nicknamed the "Big Four"). Through acquisitions and mergers over the years, the railroad "shops" have been run by the New York Central, Penn Central and, presently, Amtrak rail systems. The complex sits on 108 acres (0.44 km2) and there is 700,000 square feet (65,000 m2) under the roofs of the buildings. In 2007, Amtrak had 550 employees working there. In recognition of its heritage as a railroad town Amtrak's business car 10001 is named The Beech Grove and is often used by agency officials when they travel the system.
Although Beech Grove was incorporated in late 1906, it did not see rapid growth until the completion of the railroad facility in 1908; by July 1907, for example, there were only four homes and two businesses in place.
Beech Grove grew with two annexations after World War II, with the final one (1967) taking place just before the Uni-Gov legislation which merged Indianapolis with most of the rest of Marion County, preventing future annexation.
Two famous actors have listed Beech Grove as their birthplace—Clifton Webb (November 19, 1889–1966) and Steve McQueen (March 24, 1930–1980). Webb was born before Beech Grove came into existence as a separate entity, while McQueen was born at the City's St. Francis Hospital. Both moved away from the area while they were still infants; neither one grew up or lived in Beech Grove.
On October 15, 1948, Beech Grove received the honor of a visit by a sitting President of the United States. Harry S. Truman, a Mason, came to the city's Masonic Lodge during his legendary 'whistle stop' re-election campaign to participate in a ceremony involving a member of his staff who was one of its members.
Within the traditional focus in Indiana on high-school basketball, the Beech Grove Hornets have earned one IHSAA State Championship—that of its girls team, in Class 3A of the 2003 tournament. From that team, senior Katie Gearlds won both the IHSAA's Patricia Roy Mental Attitude Award (for Class 3A) and the "Miss Basketball" honor for the entire State. She went on to be a four-year starter for Purdue University from 2003 to 2007, and was the first Hornet graduate to play in an American professional sports major league (for the WNBA's Seattle Storm in the 2007 season). During the non-class years before 1996, the school had earned only three Sectional (equivalent to District in some states) titles (two by the boys' team in 1966 and 1992, and one by the girls' team in 1978); since the change to classes in Indiana high-school basketball, the boys' team has won one Class 3A Sectional title (2008).
The Hornets' most consistent state-level athletic success has come in wrestling, in which five students have won a total of seven individual state titles (Ralph Edwards and Gary Pierson in 1972, Ethan Harris in 2005, Danny Coyne in 2006, and a three-year unbeaten run by Steven Bradley from 1996 to 1998). The 1972 wrestling team endured the closest-ever runner-up finish in IHSAA wrestling history, ending up a half-point behind Bloomington. 60 Hornet wrestlers have qualified for the IHSAA State Finals (with several appearing two, three or four times), winning 55 placement medals. Also, in swimming, Andy McVey won two IHSAA individual titles in 1986, setting State records for that time; he had come back from a false-start disqualification in the 1985 finals, in which he had been favored to win. Andy won also this Herman F. Keller Mental Attitude Award.
Beech Grove High School's "Marching Hornets" band program has earned four Indiana State School Music Association (ISSMA) State Band Finals berths in its history, during the long service of former director James Williams. The present band, directed by alumnus Cory Wynn with the help of Scott Bradford and Chad Barton, has sought to return to that level of success, earning their first ISSMA Regional Gold rating in nine years in 2005. The Marching Hornets continue to achieve great levels of success on the marching music field. After 2005, the band has returned to the level of success that they had during the James Williams years. They have grown to become one of ISSMAs Class C "powerhouses" in the South. In 2009, 2010 and 2011, the Marching Hornets returned to the state finals in Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, for the first time in 19 years, where they placed 5th in Class C on 2009, 7th in Class C in 2010, and 2nd in Class C in 2011.
Some Beech Grove streets have been named in honor of notable citizens, such as Byland Drive (Mayor Richard Byland); Fletcher Lane (former Fire Chief, City Councilman and business owner Robert Fletcher); Killian Drive (Father Peter Killian); Newcomer Lane (Town Board member and businessman W. S. Newcomer); and Ticen Street (Town Board member Willard Ticen). A quartet of parallel streets in the northern part are named, in alphabetical order from south to north, for the cities of Albany, Buffalo, Cleveland and Detroit. In June 2007, a sign post on Hornet Avenue was given in honor of Katie Gearlds, honoring her arrival into the WNBA. No one has yet made widely known, however, the story of the naming of two connected cul-de-sacs in the far south part--Rodney Court and Dangerfield Drive, presumably someone's tribute to the comedian.
New Albany is a city in Floyd County, Indiana, United States, situated along the Ohio River opposite Louisville, Kentucky. The population was 36,372 at the 2010 census. The city is the county seat of Floyd County. It is bounded by I-265 to the north and the Ohio River to the south, and is considered part of the Louisville, Kentucky Metropolitan Statistical Area. The mayor of New Albany is Jeff Gahan, a Democrat; he was elected in 2011.
The land of New Albany was officially granted to the United States after the American Revolutionary War. The territory had been captured by George Rogers Clark in 1779. For his services Clark was awarded large tracts of land in Southern Indiana including most of Floyd County. After the war Clark sold and distributed some of his land to his fellow soldiers. The area of New Albany ended up in the possession of Col. John Paul.
New Albany was founded in July 1813 when three brothers from Albany, New York—Joel, Abner, and Nathaniel Scribner—arrived at the Falls of the Ohio and named the site after their home. They purchased the land from Col. John Paul. New Albany was platted by John Graham on the land owned by the Scribner brothers. In 1814 Joel and Mary Scribner built their home in New Albany, the Scribner House still stands today.
New Albany was incorporated as a town in 1817 as part of Clark County. In 1819, three years after Indiana was admitted as a state, New Albany became the seat of government for newly established Floyd County. A courthouse was finally built in 1824. New Albany was incorporated as a city in 1839. It would remain one of the largest cities in the mid-west for the next 50 years.
The steamboat industry was the engine of the city's economy during the mid-19th century. At least a half-dozen shipbuilders were in operation and turned out a multitude of steamboats and packet boats, including the Robert E. Lee, Eliza Battle, the Eclipse, and the A.A. Shotwell. Shipbuilding was accompanied by a wide range of ancillary business including machine shops, foundries, cabinet and furniture factories, and silversmith shops. Its second largest business was the American Plate Glass Works. By 1850, New Albany was the largest city in Indiana due to its river contacts with the South. New Albany's size and economic influence overshadowed all of its neighboring cities, including Louisville.
In 1853 the New Albany High School opened, the first public high school in the state. The original school was built at the corner of West First Street and Spring Street. New Albany would also be the first in the state to create a consolidated school district several years later.
Before the Civil War, over half of Hoosiers worth over $100,000 lived in New Albany, making it by far the wealthiest part of the state.
Ashbel P. Willard, governor of the state of Indiana and a native of New Albany, dedicated the Floyd County Fairgrounds in 1859. That year, the Indiana State Fair was held in New Albany. During the Civil War, the fairgrounds were converted to become Camp Noble and used as a muster point for the area's regiments.
In 1862, Abraham Lincoln established one of the first seven National Cemeteries in New Albany for burying the many war dead.
A new larger courthouse was built in 1865 which was used until the 1960s when the current City-County courthouse was constructed, also the first in Indiana.
The Town Clock Church, now the Second Baptist Church, was used as the New Albany stop in the Underground Railroad.
During the American Civil War the trade with the South dwindled, and after the War much of Indiana saw New Albany as too friendly to the South. The city never regained its stature, remaining a city of 40,000 with only its antebellum/early-Victorian “Mansion-Row” buildings to remind itself of its boom period. New Albany’s robust steamboat industry ended by 1870, with the last steamboat built in New Albany named, appropriately, the Robert E. Lee.
During the second half of the 19th century New Albany experienced an industrial boom despite the collapse of the steamboat industry. The advent of the railroad created economic opportunity for the city as a pork packing and locomotive repair center. A bridge was built across the River in 1886 providing a rail and road connection with Kentucky. American Plate Glass Works opened in 1865 which employed as many as 2,000 workers. When the factory relocated in 1893 New Albany lost a large part of its population and went into economic decline.
In the early 20th century, New Albany became a center of plywood and veneer, and its largest employer was the New Albany Veneering Company. By 1920, New Albany was the largest producer of plywood and veneer in the world with other producers including Indiana Veneer Panel Company and Hoosier Panel Company.
On March 23, 1917, a tornado struck the north side of New Albany killing 45 persons.
Interstate 64 came through New Albany in 1961 and led to the construction of the Sherman Minton Bridge. The project cost 14.8 million dollars. The bridge was named for US Senator and later Supreme Court Justice Sherman Minton who was a native of nearby Georgetown and practiced law in New Albany. The bridge was named the "most beautiful long-span bridge of 1961" by the American Institute of Steel Construction.
Charles Allen Prosser lived in New Albany for much of his life. Charles Allen Prosser School of Technology was named in honor of his accomplishments as the "Father of Vocational Education." In the mid and late 20th century, New Albany became an innovator in using electronic media in education. New Albany High School, a public school, started WNAS-FM in 1949, which is the nation's oldest continuously operating high school radio station. In the late 1960s, Slate Run Elementary School started WSRS, a non-licensed student-produced closed circuit television service for its classrooms, one of the nation's first in an elementary school.
In January 1937 a terrible flood affected New Albany and the region. New Albany, like the other river towns, had no flood walls and no methods of regulating the river. The Ohio River rose to 60.8 feet at New Albany leaving most of the town under 10 or more feet of water for nearly three weeks. The flood would be the worst disaster to ever befall the city.
After the flood New Albany was the first city in the region to begin construction on massive flood walls around the city. New Albany's flood walls would serve as examples for those that would later be constructed around Louisville and Clark County.
New Albany's Main Street features a large collection of late 19th century mansions from the city's heyday as a shipbuilding center. The centerpiece is the Culbertson Mansion, a three-story French Second Empire Style structure, which is today an Indiana state memorial.
Every October, the downtown area of New Albany is host to the Harvest Homecoming festival, one of the largest annual events in the state. Festivities begin on the first weekend of October, but the main part, consisting of midway rides, shows, and booths lining the downtown streets, lasts from Thursday-Sunday of the second weekend in October.
New Albany is located at (38.301935, -85.821442).
According to the 2010 census, the city has a total area of 15.11 square miles (39.1 km2), of which 14.94 square miles (38.7 km2) (or 98.87%) is land and 0.17 square miles (0.44 km2) (or 1.13%) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 36,372 people, 15,575 households, and 9,175 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,434.5 inhabitants per square mile (940.0 /km2). There were 17,315 housing units at an average density of 1,159.0 per square mile (447.5 /km2). The racial makeup of the city was 85.8% White, 8.7% African American, 0.2% Native American, 0.7% Asian, 1.7% from other races, and 2.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.7% of the population.
There were 15,575 households of which 29.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 35.4% were married couples living together, 18.2% had a female householder with no husband present, 5.2% had a male householder with no wife present, and 41.1% were non-families. 33.7% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.27 and the average family size was 2.89.
The median age in the city was 37.1 years. 22.9% of residents were under the age of 18; 10.1% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 26.9% were from 25 to 44; 26.4% were from 45 to 64; and 13.9% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 47.5% male and 52.5% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 37,603 people, 15,959 households, and 10,054 families residing in the city. The population density was 2,571.1 people per square mile (992.4/km2). There were 17,098 housing units at an average density of 1,169.1 per square mile (451.2/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 84.00% White, 12.93% African American, 0.31% Native American, 0.42% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.67% from other races, and 1.62% from two or more races. 1.36% of the population is Hispanic (Hispanics can be of any race).
There were 15,959 households out of which 29.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.5% were married couples living together, 16.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.0% were non-families. 30.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.31 and the average family size was 2.88.
In the city the population was spread out with 24.0% under the age of 18, 9.6% from 18 to 24, 29.2% from 25 to 44, 21.8% from 45 to 64, and 15.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 88.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.6 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $34,923, and the median income for a family was $41,993. Males had a median income of $31,778 versus $24,002 for females. The per capita income for the city was $18,365. About 11.4% of families and 13.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 21.6% of those under age 18 and 9.1% of those age 65 or over.
In order by county Bold indicates county of 100,000+
Fagus crenata – Japanese Beech
Fagus engleriana – Chinese Beech
Fagus grandifolia – American Beech
Fagus hayatae – Taiwan Beech
Fagus japonica – Japanese Blue Beech
Fagus longipetiolata – South Chinese Beech
Fagus lucida – Shining Beech
Fagus mexicana – Mexican Beech or Haya
Fagus orientalis – Oriental Beech
Fagus sylvatica – European Beech
Fagus taurica – Crimean beech
Beech (Fagus) is a genus of eleven accepted species of deciduous trees in the family Fagaceae, native to temperate Europe, Asia and North America. F. sylvatica is the most commonly cultivated, although there are few important differences between species aside from detail elements such as leaf shape. Beeches are large trees that may exceed 35 metres in height and 1.5 metres in diameter at breast height.
The southern beeches (Nothofagus genus) previously thought closely related to beeches, are now treated as members of a separate family, Nothofagaceae. They are found in Australia, New Zealand, New Guinea, New Caledonia, Argentina and Chile (principally Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego).
The leaves of beech trees are entire or sparsely toothed, from 5–15 cm long and 4–10 cm broad. Beeches are monoecious, bearing both male and female flowers on the same plant. The small flowers are unisexual, the female flowers borne in pairs, the male flowers wind-pollinating catkins. They are produced in spring shortly after the new leaves appear. The bark is smooth and light grey. The fruit is a small, sharply three–angled nut 10–15 mm long, borne singly or in pairs in soft-spined husks 1.5–2.5 cm long, known as cupules. The nuts are edible, though bitter (though not nearly as bitter as acorns) with a high tannin content, and are called beechnuts or beechmast.
Beech grows on a wide range of soil types, acidic or basic, provided they are not waterlogged. The tree canopy casts dense shade, and carpets the ground with dense leaf litter.
In North America, they often form Beech-Maple climax forests by partnering with the Sugar Maple.
The beech blight aphid (Grylloprociphilus imbricator) is a common pest of American beech trees. Beeches are also used as food plants by some species of Lepidoptera (see list of Lepidoptera that feed on beeches).
Beech bark is extremely thin and scars easily. Since the beech tree has such delicate bark, carvings, such as lovers' initials and other forms of graffiti, remain because the tree is unable to heal itself.
Beech bark disease is a fungal infection that attacks the American Beech through damage caused by scale insects. Infection can lead to the death of the tree .
Beech wood is an excellent firewood, easily split and burning for many hours with bright but calm flames. Chips of beech wood are used in the brewing of Budweiser beer as a fining agent. Beech logs are burned to dry the malts used in some German smoked beers, giving the beers their typical flavour. Beech is also used to smoke Westphalian ham, various sausages, and some cheeses.
Some drums are made from beech, which has a tone between those of maple and birch, the two most popular drum woods.
The textile modal is a kind of rayon often made wholly from the reconstituted cellulose of pulped beech wood.
The European species Fagus sylvatica yields a utility timber that is tough but dimensionally unstable. It weighs about 720 kg per cubic metre and is widely used for furniture framing and carcass construction, flooring and engineering purposes, in plywood and in household items like plates, but rarely as a decorative wood. The timber can be used to build chalets, houses and log cabins.
Beech wood is used for the stocks of military rifles when traditionally preferred woods such as walnut are scarce or unavailable or as a lower-cost alternative.
The fruit of the beech tree is known as beechnuts or mast and is found in small burrs that drop from the tree in autumn. It is small, roughly triangular and edible, with a bitter, astringent taste. They have a high enough fat content that they can be pressed for edible oil. Fresh from the tree, beech leaves are a fine salad vegetable, as sweet as a mild cabbage though much softer in texture. The young leaves can be steeped in gin for several weeks, the liquor strained off and sweetened to give a light green/yellow liqueur called beechleaf noyau.
Beech wood tablets were a common writing material in Germanic societies before the development of paper. The Old English bōc and Old Norse bók both have the primary sense of “beech” but also a secondary sense of “book”, and it is from bōc that the modern word derives. In modern German, the word for “book” is Buch, with Buche meaning “beech tree”. In Swedish, these words are the same, bok meaning both “beech tree” and “book”.
The pigment bistre was made from beech wood soot.
The beech most commonly grown as an ornamental tree is the European Beech (Fagus sylvatica), widely cultivated in North America as well as its native Europe. Many varieties are in cultivation, notably the weeping beech F. sylvatica 'Pendula', several varieties of Copper or purple beech, the fern-leaved beech F. sylvatica 'Asplenifolia', and the tricolour beech F. sylvatica 'roseomarginata'. The strikingly columnar Dawyck beech (F. sylvatica 'Dawyck') occurs in green, gold and purple forms, named after Dawyck Botanic Garden in the Scottish Borders, one of the four garden sites of the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh.
Beech was a late entrant to Great Britain after the last glaciation, and may have been restricted to basic soils in the south of England. The beech is classified as a native in the south of England and as a non-native in the north where it is often removed from 'native' woods. Large areas of the Chilterns are covered with beech woods, which are habitat to the Common Bluebell and other flora. The Cwm Clydach National Nature Reserve in southeast Wales was designated for its beech woodlands which are believed to be on the western edge of their natural range in this steep limestone gorge.
Beech is not native to Ireland; however, it was widely planted from the 18th century, and can become a problem shading out the native woodland understory. The Friends of the Irish Environment say that the best policy is to remove young, naturally regenerating beech while retaining veteran specimens with biodiversity value.
There is a campaign by Friends of the Rusland Beeches and South Lakeland Friends of the Earth launched in 2007 to reclassify the beech as native in Cumbria. The campaign is backed by Tim Farron MP who tabled a motion on 3 December 2007 regarding the status of beech in Cumbria.
Today, beech is widely planted for hedging and in deciduous woodlands, and mature, regenerating stands occur throughout mainland Britain below about 650 m. The tallest and longest hedge in the world (according to the Guinness World Records) is the Meikleour Beech Hedge in Meikleour, Perth and Kinross, Scotland.
The common European beech (Fagus sylvatica) grows naturally in Denmark and southern Norway and Sweden up to about the 57:th – 59:th northern latitude. The most northern known naturally growing (not planted) beech trees are found in a few very small forests around the city of Bergen on the west coast of Norway with the North Sea nearby. Near the city of Larvik is the largest naturally occurring beech forest in Norway. Planted beeches are grown much farther north along the Norwegian coast.
As a naturally growing forest tree, it marks the important border between the European deciduous forest zone and the northern pine forest zone. This border is important for both wildlife and fauna and is a sharp line along the Swedish western coast, which gets broader toward the south. In Denmark and the most southern Swedish county, Skåne, it is the most populous of all forest trees. In Norway, the beech migration very recent, and the species has not reached its distribution potential. Thus, the occurrence of oak in Norway is used as an indicator of the border between the temperate deciduous forest and the boreal spruce – pine forest.
Beech Grove City Schools is the public school district serving the city of Beech Grove, Indiana. The district has five schools, with a total of 2,293 students. The district superintendent is Dr. Rex Sager.
Franciscan St. Elizabeth Health-Crawfordsville, located in Crawfordsville, Indiana, is a member of the Franciscan Alliance, Inc., hospital system.
The hospital was originally established as Culver Union Hospital by the local chapter of the Women's Union, and opened on 27 November 1902. It was operated by the Union Hospital Association until 1927, when it was transferred to the local county. In 1929 the county completed the construction of a new 45-bed building, at which time the original building was converted into a nurses' residence.
From 1939-1942 a new building was constructed which connected the two older buildings. The original structure dating from 1902 was condemned in 1950 and a new wing for the hospital was completed in 1966. The county sold the hospital in 1983 to American Medical International. That organization built a completely new facility at the hospital's current location. It opened its doors on 13 June 1984.
In 1999 the hospital was purchased by the Sisters of St. Francis Health Services (changed in 2010 to Franciscan Alliance, Inc.) and renamed St. Clare Medical Center, after which a series of expansion of its services was undertaken. In January 2011 the facility was given its current name.
St. Clare Medical Center is licensed by the Indiana State Board of Health and is a member of the Catholic Health Association of the United States and Canada, the Indiana Hospital Association and the American Hospital Association.
Geography of the United States
Beech Grove, Indiana
Geography of Indiana
Indianapolis metropolitan area
Health Medical Pharma
Health Medical Pharma