Orange is a town in, and county seat of, Orange County, Virginia, United States. The population was 4,721 at the 2010 census, representing a 14.5% increase since the 2000 census. Orange is 28 miles northeast of Charlottesville, 88 miles southwest of Washington, D.C., and 4 miles east of James Madison's Montpelier.
The present-day Town of Orange was known as the Town of Orange Court House prior to the late-nineteenth century. Following the establishment of Culpeper County from a part of Orange County in 1749, the courthouse was relocated to Orange Court House from elsewhere in the county. The court convened in the house of man named Timothy Crosthwait until 1752, when a new courthouse was constructed on the property and after Crosthwait deeded the 2 acres to the county. The town at that time consisted of the courthouse and its related public buildings, a few houses and stores, a tavern and little else. The first U.S. Post Office was constructed in the town in 1796. In 1801-1804 the courthouse was replaced with a new building, clerk’s office and, later, a new jail.