The California State Lottery, also known as the California Lottery, began on November 6, 1984, after California voters passed Proposition 37, the California State Lottery Act of 1984, authorizing the creation of a lottery. The first tickets were purchased on October 3, 1985.
The California State Lottery Act of 1984 was intended to provide more money to schools without imposing extra taxes. Accordingly, the Lottery was required to provide at least 34% of its revenues to public education, supplementing (not replacing) other funds provided by California. Another 50% of its revenues must be paid to the public in the form of prizes, making a mandated minimum of 84% of all funds that must be given back to the public in the form of prizes or funds for public education. The remainder, a maximum of 16%, was to be spent on administration, such as salaries and running the games.
California's economy is the 12th largest economy in the world (2012), if the states of the U.S. were compared with other countries. As of 2010, the gross state product (GSP) is about $1.9 trillion, which is 13.06% of the United States gross domestic product (GDP) The state's GDP growth rate slowed to 0.4% in 2008 after having grown 3.1% in 2006 and 1.8% in 2007. As of August 2013, the United States Department of Labor reports that California has the fifth-highest unemployment rate in the nation at 8.9 percent.
A mega number, usually known as a powerball or mega ball, is a number drawn in a lottery game that comes from a second number field, rather than among the game's "regular" numbers.
Currently, 45 U.S. lotteries offer Powerball, Mega Millions, or both. These games each use two sets of numbers. Powerball draws five rubber balls from a machine containing 59 balls. A sixth number, the Powerball, then is drawn from a second drum, of 39 numbers. The Mega Millions game is similar; 5 of 56, then the Mega Ball from a set of 46 balls.
Mega Millions (initially called The Big Game Mega Millions as the successor of The Big Game) is an American multi-jurisdictional lottery game. The first (The Big Game) Mega Millions drawing was in 2002 (see below).
The minimum Mega Millions advertised jackpot is $15 million, paid in 30 graduated yearly installments, increasing 5% per annum (unless the cash option is chosen; see below for differences by state). The jackpot increases when there is no top-prize winner (see below for information on how the game's jackpot is funded).
The Florida Lottery is a government-run organization in the state of Florida, USA. With numerous on-line and scratch-off games available, players have a wide variety of prize levels to choose from. Since it began, the Florida Lottery has continued to add variety to its portfolio of games. The Lottery has experimented with higher price points, enhanced traditional games, and introduced seasonal promotional games. In 2012, Florida was the third-ranked state in yearly lottery revenue with $4.45 billion; revenue passed $5 billion in fiscal year 2013. Florida passed the legislation to enact the lottery in 1986 by a two to one ratio. The new lottery was spearheaded by Governor Bob Martinez and the Florida legislature with the mission of maximizing revenues for the enhancement of public education in Florida. The lottery was founded on the basis that it would provide the people of Florida the opportunity to benefit from additional revenues while providing the highest quality games available. The lottery's first game, MILLIONAIRE was a $1 scratch-off that was immensely popular. Within 17 days, the scratch-off game had paid back the entire $15.5 million to the state's general fund. Florida currently offers eight terminal games: Powerball; Florida Lotto; Cash 3; Play 4; Fantasy 5; Mega Money; Lucky Lines; and Mega Millions, which became available in Florida on May 15, 2013.
With the goal of the Florida Lottery being to enhance public education in the state, the lottery has become not only an education partner but a distinguished business enterprise as well. in the 2011-2012 fiscal year, the Florida Lottery donated $1.31 billion to the Educational Enhancement Trust Fund, surpassing the $1 billion mark for the eleventh time in its history and expanding its all-time donation total to over $25 billion. Additionally, Florida donates funds to help construct new schools and other educational facilities. As of 2012, more than $3.9 billion in lottery-backed bonds have gone to school construction.
State governments in the United States are those republics formed by citizens in the jurisdiction thereof as provided by the United States Constitution, with the original 13 states forming the first Articles of Confederation, and later the aforementioned Constitution. Within the U.S. constitution are provisions as to the formation of new states within the Union.