The 8th Infantry Division (Greek: VIII Μεραρχία Πεζικού) is one of the most historic units of the Hellenic Army. It is based at Ioannina, and has traditionally garrisoned the area of Epirus. Active since the Balkan Wars, the division is most notable for its decisive role during the first days of the Greco-Italian War, when it successfully stopped the initial Italian offensive, and bought time for the Greek reinforcements to arrive and turn the tide. This fact is reflected in the division's motto, "Okhi".
The 8th Infantry Division, initially named the Epirus Division, was formed in January 1913, during the First Balkan War, out of the 15th Infantry Regiment, the 2nd Evzones Regiment and the Independent Cretan Regiment. It participated in the operations for the capture of Ioannina and the subsequent push into Northern Epirus. In December it was placed on garrison duties, with its regiments dispersed at Preveza, Corfu and Lefkada. The division fought in the Macedonian Front of the First World War and the operations for the occupation of Western Thrace in 1920. Following the Greek defeat, it returned to Epirus, with its new headquarters at Ioannina. Its subordinate units throughout the